Buying a soft-sided dog crate is a difficult task. Many pet owners struggle to find the right product for their pets. There are many stories of dogs that Houdini out of crates and kennels. Although the best Soft Sided Dog Crates may not be right for all pets, they can often be a good choice to start with.
You need to consider more than the size of your dog when shopping for a soft-sided dog crate. You must ask yourself, “Is this a suitable crate for my dog?”
Your pooch may chew on soft crates, or escape from enclosures. Even the most expensive soft dog crates won’t work for puppies and rambunctious dogs. According to experts, this is why crate training is essential for your adult dog or puppy.
Be careful when purchasing a soft dog crate. Also, pay attention to your dog’s behavior. Soft dog crates have a soft side. They are made of fabric and not metal or plastic. If you want your dog to use a soft-sided cage, he must be trained 100%.
Crates, whether hard or soft, are extremely helpful for pet owners in many ways. According to the Association of Professional Dog Trainers
“The Association of Professional Dog Trainers recommends that puppies and dogs use crates as training tools and safety equipment during their lives.”.
We have reviewed and tested many different dog supplies over the years. We’ve compiled a list of ten highly rated soft-sided dog crates to rank as the best.
- 1 TOP-5 Fast Picks
- 2 TOP-11 Soft-Sided Dog Crates
- 2.1 1. AmazonBasics Dog Crate – Best Overall
- 2.2 2. JESPET Soft Dog Crates Kennel for Pets
- 2.3 3. Petsfit Portable Collapsible Soft Medium Dog Crate
- 2.4 4. Soft-Krate Indoor/Outdoor Pet Home
- 2.5 5. EliteField Soft Dog Crate- Premium Choice
- 2.6 6. 2PET Bone Foldable Soft Sided Dog Crate
- 2.7 7. MidWest Portable Tent Crate
- 2.8 8. Petsfit Travel Soft Dog Crate
- 2.9 9. TopPets Soft Pet Crate for Portable Pets – Best Value
- 2.10 10. Go Pet Club Soft Crate
- 2.11 11. Pet Gear 3 Door Portable Soft Crate
- 3 Buyer’s Guide: How To Choose The Best Soft Dog Crates
- 4 Conclusion
TOP-5 Fast Picks
Last update on 2023-09-25 at 20:31 / Affiliate links / Price incl. tax, excl. shipping / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
TOP-11 Soft-Sided Dog Crates
1. AmazonBasics Dog Crate – Best Overall
The Amazon Basics folding soft dog crate is our top choice. It’s a reasonably-priced model that offers all the features your dog and you need.
The crate is approximately 30 inches in length and folds flat to store 8.8 pound dogs. The crate has a convenient top and front door, as well as mesh windows for ventilation. It also features rounded corners that won’t scratch your floors. The PVC frame is covered with durable, water-resistant polyester fabric.
We found the crate to be easy to set up and remove during our testing. The crate has useful fastening straps that keep the doors closed. The fabric cover can also be hand-washed. The zippers were less durable and the fabric might not be strong enough to withstand sharp claws. Amazon offers a 1-year warranty.
- Compatible with dogs up to 42 pounds
- Easy to set up, and easy to take apart
- Front and top doors plus mesh windows
- Frame made of PVC and polyester that is water-resistant
- Corners that are rounded and not scratchy
- Fastening straps for doors
- 1-year warranty
- Not machine washable
- Less durable zippers
- Sharp claws can cause the fabric to rip
2. JESPET Soft Dog Crates Kennel for Pets
The JESPET Soft Dog Crate has three entrances, adjustable carrying strap and fleece bed. It is lightweight and portable, so it is perfect for traveling by car with your dog. High visibility and excellent ventilation provide a comfortable place for your pet.
This crate has a steel frame, a water-resistant base, and a machine-washable cover made of 600D fabric. The crate folds up easily and has retractable strings and collapsible bars. The handles are simple and functional. However, there are no shoulder straps.
The plastic frame connectors used to prop up the crate was our least favorite. They don’t feel sturdy and can break easily. Second, many customers complain that their dogs chew through the mesh. Therefore, this Soft Dog Crate should not be used for dogs that like to dig or chew on the crate.
- Steel frame with water-resistant base
- Fabric that can be machine washed
- Folded, buckles together
- Retractable strings and collapsible bars
- Fleece bed included
- The price is a bit high
- Less durable overall
- Connectors for plastic frames may crack
- No shoulder straps
- is not for big dogs or chewers
3. Petsfit Portable Collapsible Soft Medium Dog Crate
Different dogs and dog owners have different preferences and needs. This Petsfit soft collapsible dog cage is ideal for those who require windows or air passage to all four sides. There are three entrances: the top, front, and one side. Only three sizes are available. The larger one is the best. It measures 36 inches in length, 24 inches wide, and 23 inches high. This site is for pets that weigh 70 pounds or less.
After a day of outdoor adventure, pets need to be able to retreat to a safe place. This soft-sided dog cage is the perfect solution. The fourth-best soft-sided dog cage has mesh screens that keep insects and mosquitoes away, but don’t block the view. The flaps can be folded up or down and zipped. You will need to cover the base with a cushion or bed to make your pet feel more comfortable.
As pet owners discovered when their orders arrived, this is a huge size. These soft dog crates are great for outdoor fun and travel. This is the perfect temporary home for your dog if you don’t expect to be distracted by other things or people. You can let your dog see all the happenings without worrying about him.
- Three doors at the front, one on each side
- There are two sizes for dogs up to 70 pounds
- Steel frame construction
- The cover is water-resistant and machine washable
- Zippers can be ripped apart by dogs putting pressure on the doors. This makes it easier for them to escape.
4. Soft-Krate Indoor/Outdoor Pet Home
The second on our list of the best soft dog crates for pet owners is a well-known and trusted brand. Noztonoz Sof-Krate indoor or outdoor pet home is very close to our first product. There are five sizes available. This site is for pets up to 70 lbs. It measures 36 inches long, 24 inches wide, 27 inches high, and 27 inches high.
Noz2Noz soft-sided dog cage is made from steel tube framing and a strong water-resistant base. It also has a washable cover and tight-woven mesh. The push-button mechanism makes it easy to set up and fold down. It can be folded flat and secured with buckled straps to make it easy to store and transport. This opens like EliteField from the top, one side, and front.
This soft-sided dog cage is popular with dog owners who need to travel long distances with their dogs. The Noztonoz Soft Krate Indoor/Outdoor Pet House has always met their expectations. The listing’s measurements are accurate to the actual product.
It is very easy to place inside your car because it has side and front doors that allow entry from either the long or short side. It works for your dog as well as the crate. To ensure that the crate is comfortable for dogs on trips, they should be familiar with it at home. It is easy to fold, transport, and reassemble once you reach your destination. Noztonoz makes long-distance trips easier for you and your pet.
- Available in 5 sizes
- Framing steel tubes
- The cover is water-resistant and washable
- Three mesh doors allow for easy access to your pet’s environment and ventilation
- It folds flat and is secured with buckled straps to prevent it from opening during transport
- We would have liked the material to be thicker and more durable
- Other reviewers have noted that the zippers of this crate failed after a few months of frequent use
5. EliteField Soft Dog Crate- Premium Choice
The EliteField 3-Door Soft Dog Crate, which is more expensive and heavier, comes with additional features and a great warranty.
The 17.6-pound crate is larger and taller than other models. Your dog will enjoy more space. It comes in a variety of sizes and colors. The crate folds down quickly to just three inches. The steel tube frame is covered with 600D fabric and has hex mesh fabric doors. This model features three doors: one on each side, the front, and the top. Multiple accessory pocket handles, handles, a shoulder strap, and padding, as well as a carry bag with handles and a machine-washable fleece pad, are all included in the package.
The reinforced corners and sides were appreciated by us. Although the frame is simple to lock in place, testing revealed that the zippers can tear along the seams and the mesh doesn’t hold up to chewing or claws. EliteField provides a two-year warranty.
- A wide range of colors and sizes
- More spacious design
- Folds down to just three inches
- Steel tube frame, 600D fabric covering, and hex mesh
- Three doors allow for easy access
- Included are a shoulder strap, carrying bag, and accessory pockets
- Warranty of two years
- Higher prices and heavier
- Seams can tear
- Less-durable mesh fabric
6. 2PET Bone Foldable Soft Sided Dog Crate
The 2PET Bone Window Foldable Dog Crate is a bulky design, but it’s well-priced. It also includes useful accessories. 2PET donates part of its profits to charities that support pets.
This 6.82-pound dog cage has a steel tube frame with a 600D fabric cover. The mesh windows are loosely shaped and have water bottle holders and food container holders. A waterproof mat, a machine-washable fleece pad, and handy shoulder straps are included in the package. To prevent your dog’s escape, the front zipper is covered with a cover.
We found this crate to be very fragile and unattractive in our testing. The zippers and mesh are not very strong. 2PET provides a 1-year warranty for manufacturing defects.
- It is lightweight and very affordable
- Steel tube frame with 600D fabric cover
- Water bottle and food container holders with built-in features
- Include waterproof mat and machine-washable, reversible fleece pad
- Convenient shoulder straps
- Front door zipper protection
- Pet charities receive a portion of the profits
- 1-year warranty
- Inelegant design
- Weaker mesh
- Less durable overall
7. MidWest Portable Tent Crate
The MidWest Mobile Tent Crate is our least favorite soft dog cage. It is also the most expensive and heavy model we tried. This crate is not portable or durable and has small windows. It also has an ineffective brace system.
This soft crate weighs 19.75 pounds and is, therefore, more difficult to transport. The crate is available in several sizes and has a water-resistant fabric covering with reinforced corners. A U-shaped wire holds the folding steel frame up. This wire is not very stable and can be easily bumped by your dog. The mesh windows are very small and limit ventilation. The package contains a synthetic sheepskin pad and the folded crate is secured with buckles.
The crate is not very sturdy, but it is quite heavy. It also has a strong plastic smell. MidWest provides a 1-year warranty.
- There are many sizes to choose from
- Water-resistant fabric with reinforced corners
- Folding steel frame
- Also includes a synthetic sheepskin pad
- Buckle closures folded
- 1-year warranty
- A poorly designed wire brace
- Window sizes that are small and have limited ventilation
- Heavy and expensive
- Strong plastic scent
- Less durable overall
8. Petsfit Travel Soft Dog Crate
The Petsfit Travel Dog Crate is expensive and has limited ventilation. The crate is decently made and has two doors on each side and a top entry. All of these can be rolled up but there are no windows or ventilation.
The plastic frame features a unique screw-in design that makes it easier to set up and take apart. The zippers are secured with locking clips. The included non-slip feet pads and machine-washable pads were a big hit with us.
We found that the crate was stale and that it didn’t feel as sturdy. The seams and mesh doors are also easily ripped. Petsfit does not offer any warranty.
- Patented screw-in frame made of plastic
- Non-slip feet pads and zipper locks
- There are two doors and one top entrance
- Decent-looking design
- It takes longer to put together and disassemble
- More expensive
- There is no warranty
- Strong plastic scent
- Less durable frame
- Seams and mesh can rip
- Ventilation is also less important with fewer windows
9. TopPets Soft Pet Crate for Portable Pets – Best Value
The topPets portable soft pet crate is an affordable, lightweight, and functional option that will suit your budget. It was the most affordable soft dog crate we could find.
This crate weighs in at four pounds and is very portable. The crate features a lightweight, steel frame and an injection-molded locking mechanism. It also has a machine-washable, water-resistant fabric cover. This crate comes in a variety of sizes and colors. It folds down to just four inches and can be folded easily. For extra comfort, the package comes with a fleece mat that can be machine washed.
The crate has rounded corners, windows, and doors that can easily be rolled up and feels durable. We found the zippers to be a bit weak and that the mesh fabric wasn’t strong enough when we tested it. The warranty on this model is not included.
- Very lightweight and low-cost
- Steel frame with injection-molded locking
- Fabric that is water-resistant and machine washable
- You have a choice of sizes and colors
- Easy to fold and unfold
- Fitted machine-washable fleece mat
- Roll-up doors and windows with rounded corners
- Easy to transport and durable
- Zippers that are less well-made
- Less-durable mesh fabric
- There is no warranty
10. Go Pet Club Soft Crate
The Go Pet Club Soft Crate is another option. It is lightweight and affordable, but it has a poor-looking design and is less durable.
The four-pound portable crate comes with roll-up windows and a front door. The package also includes a PVC frame, a waterproof polyester cover, and a sheepskin rug. The crate can be folded down to just two inches.
We found that the mat was not very well padded and that the mesh and seams were easy to tear when we tested the crate. Go Pet Club does not offer a warranty on this model.
- It is lightweight and affordable
- Roll-up windows and front doors
- Frame made of PVC with a waterproof polyester cover
- Included are a sheepskin mat and carrying bag
- Folds down to a compact 2 inches
- You will feel and look better
- Mat is not very padded
- Seams and mesh easily tear
- There is no warranty
11. Pet Gear 3 Door Portable Soft Crate
This basic item will make traveling with your pet easier. It is a foldable dog cage that can hold your pet and other essentials. The Pet Gear Generation II Deluxe portable, the soft crate is supported by a steel tube frame. It has a push-button mechanism that allows for folding down and setting up. The frame was encased in durable nylon denier fabric and mesh to create a well-designed pet cage. Three access doors have mesh flaps and zippers. The softest dog crate ranked sixth in quality, comes with a waterproof fleece sheet and a mat.
The crate can also be used to store basic items. This is an important detail especially when you travel and want to keep all your pet stuff together. The storage pouch on the other side is approximately the same size as that on the top. It is large enough to fit a 70-pound dog in the Pet Gear Generation II Deluxe Portable Soft Crate. It has been used by pet owners for smaller pets, and it worked well for them.
Cross-country travel is no joke, especially if you have pets. This soft dog crate is ideal for long trips. This crate is easy to fold at stopovers and set up in motels. It holds pets’ belongings so there is less chance of them forgetting or leaving them behind.
- For easy setup and removal, a steel tube frame with a push-button mechanism
- The cover is made from durable nylon denier fabric
- Access doors for 3
- Includes a waterproof mat, fleece sheet, and a fleece sheet
- It was very difficult to push the buttons that allow the bar to collapse down
- Dogs can press on the doorknobs to pull zippers apart, making it easier for them to escape
Buyer’s Guide: How To Choose The Best Soft Dog Crates
After you have reviewed the top soft dog carriers on the market, it is time to shop. What model should you pick? Continue reading to learn more about your options.
What Is a Soft Dog Cage?
A soft dog crate, which is made of fabric, can be folded and set up at the destination. It’s similar to a camping tent. These crates usually have a frame made of fabric that folds up and has mesh doors and windows for ventilation and access.
Fabric crates are less rigid than wood or metal crates. Soft crates have a lower weight and are easier to transport, but they are also less durable. Think about your dog before you decide on a soft crate. Are you a puppy, an escape artist, or a chewer with your dog? A soft dog cage may not work. A soft crate might work well if your dog is trained well.
Your soft dog crate’s frame is an important component. The frame is usually made from steel or PVC plastic and holds the crate up. It also prevents the crate from falling on your dog’s head. Although plastic frames are lighter and more affordable, they are often less durable. Steel tube frames can be strong but heavier than steel tubes.
Many frames are held together with less-durable plastic parts. These parts can break apart, even if the frame of your crate is sturdy. For added security, some frames can be screwed together or have push-button tabs or couplers.
The fabric cover of your crate will affect how it looks and how it performs. It is important to have a strong, water-resistant cover that will not rip or become brittle. A cover that is removable from the frame can be machine-washed.
Windows and Doors
Doors and windows allow for easy access to the soft sided crate as well as ventilation. Many soft crates have roll-up doors that can open to allow your dog to enter and exit the cage whenever it wishes.
However, a thinner mesh may be less durable than a stronger component. It is worth looking for strong, tightly-woven mesh that your dog can’t chew on or tear easily, as well as zippers and seams that are extra strong. You may also find zipper covers that protect the zipper from being chewed or unzipped by some models.
These soft-sided crates can only be folded up and carried in one direction. They don’t have enough support for your dog on the ground, and they don’t come with heavy-duty handles. Many crates come with good handles or carry cases that can be used while folded.
Do you prefer a crate with a properly-sized, padded mat or would you rather buy one? Some models have machine-washable, appropriately-sized mats that will make your dog feel more comfortable. Many models also come with waterproof mats that can protect your dog’s crate from water spillages and other accidents. Models with built-in holders are also available for food and water bottles.
Do you want a water bottle that will fit in your dog’s crate? We have eight top-rated options.
Do you want your soft dog crate covered by a warranty? Most of the models that we reviewed included a 1-year warranty. Most warranties are limited to manufacturing defects. This means that they don’t cover damage caused by your dog chewing or ripping the zipper. Before you make your decision, be sure to read the fine print of each warranty.
The AmazonBasics Soft Dog Crate is our top choice. It is sturdy and folds flat. The topPets Mobile Soft Pet Crate is a cheaper option. It has a steel frame and comes with a fleece pad. The EliteField 3-Door Soft Dog Crate has a great warranty and reinforced corners.
Soft dog crates are compact and easy to transport. However, you will need to choose a quality model to ensure your dog is safe and comfortable. You don’t need to spend too much time looking. This list of the 11 best soft pet carriers for 2022, with detailed reviews and a buyer’s guide, will help you choose a great model. Your dog will soon be comfortable sleeping or traveling in comfort.