How to choose dog trailer for bike? Think about what type of riding you want to do. Consider the terrain and climate. Consider your dog’s comfort level. And check our list of rhe best dob bike trailers.
These are the 13 Best Dog Bike Trailers
1. Our #1 Pick: Schwinn Small Rascal Dog Trailer
- Maximum weight: 50 pounds
- Materials: Nylon and steel
- Dimensions: 34x28x19.5 inches
Schwinn is well-known for its exceptional bicycles. This company has some amazing solutions to give your dog a ride on your bike. What does the pet trailer compare?
This trailer is extremely portable thanks to its clever design and quick-release wheels.
Bright orange accents along the sides make your dog bike trailer visible even in dark conditions. Make sure your trailer and bike have the correct lights.
The universal attachment is included so that you can hook it up to any type of roadworthy bicycle.
The integrated leash will keep your dog safe. It’s important to make sure your dog is well-trained and does not attempt Houdini tricks on the road.
Although the Schwinn can carry dogs up to 50 lbs, we think that’s a bit ambitious. This trailer works well with small dogs, as it does with most dog-bike trailers. There is a dog bike trailer that can hold 100 pounds for larger dogs.
This is one of the most beautiful dog bike trailers available.
- Holds pets up to 100 lbs.
- 'Doggy-door' in rear of trailer allows for easy loading/unloading
- Trailer provides non-slip surface for pet stability, removable/washable
- Adjustable leash provides added security for pet
- 3 storage pockets (2 internal, 1 external) provide convenient option to take pet accessories along
- Universal coupler
- An adjustable internal leash
- Pneumatic tires
- One of the most expensive trailers
2. Thule Cadence Bike Trailer
Ideal for: Cycling, cycling on roads, biking along paved roads, and city riding
Maximum weight: 100 lbs
Conversion kit: Stroller (included).
Although the dog bike trailer is intended for children, it can be modified to make more room for your dog.
Cadences are ideal for large dogs that need extra room.
- Bicycle Trailer Kit included
- Secure attachment to bike using Thule's patented ezHitch
- Extra storage space for hauling around cargo
- Easy folding for storage and transporting
- Comfortably seats two children
- Foldable for easy storage and transportation
- Aluminum wheels
- Include flag and roll-down rain cover
- Reputation-based brand that is well-known
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Good price
- The floor is too hard for padding. You might consider lining the bottom with a dog travel bed.
- No sun protection
- Velcro is used to close the door
- You have limited interior space, or you need leash hooks
3. Aosom Bike Trailer
- Maximum weight: 66 pounds
- Materials: Steel and Oxford cloth
- Dimensions: 51.25×28.75×35.5 inches
Aosom offers a dog bike trailer that is affordable and delivers great performance. This is crucial when your dog’s safety is at stake. You shouldn’t base your pet ownership decisions solely on the bottom line. Instead, keep Rover safe.
This model is suitable for medium-sized dogs. It has a 66-pound weight limit, which makes it an ideal choice for smaller dogs. Before you take your dog on a ride, make sure he is trained. If your dog doesn’t know how to behave, cycling with him can be dangerous. This is your job.
Large wheels can be used off-road and are quick to release so that you can quickly disassemble the dog bike trailer.
Ventilation is efficient, so your dog won’t get stuffy or sticky even after long rides.
Fido should be protected by the weather shield in all inclement weather conditions. However, it is best to avoid extreme weather.
Aosom is a great budget option for your dog’s bicycle transport.
- PET BIKE TRAILER: The bike trailer for dogs is an easy to way to take your pets with you, regardless if you are camping, hiking, walking, cycling, or anything in between. With a weight limit of up to 66 lbs, you can bring even medium size dogs wherever you go.
- WEATHER PROTECT: The Oxford fabric built on a steel frame is super strong with plenty of durabilities to fight the weather, water, and UV rays. Plus, the dog trailer provides great shade for your little friend riding with you.
- EASY ENTRY& VENTILATION: With zippered doors on the front, back, and top, your pet can stick their head out of this bicycle pet trailer and have the time of their life. Plus, it provides amazing ventilation so it doesn't get too stuff. A D-ring is included, so you can keep your friend nice and secure inside the pet carrier (a leash is not included).
- SMOOTH ROLLING: Two 20" rear wheels provide a smooth ride on pavement and are off-road capable for those adventures into the wilderness. The flag on the dog carriage and reflectors on the wheels provide visibility in traffic and low-light conditions.
- EASY STORAGE: The wheels on this bicycle pet trailer are quick releasing, which can fold flat for easy storage and transport.
Aosom Bike Trailer
- Off-road wheels too large
- Outstanding ventilation
- Provided with weather shield
- Leash not included
4. Best Choice Products Pet Stroller and Trailer
- Maximum weight: 66 pounds
- Materials: Polyester and steel
- Dimensions: 24x27x22 inches
Best Choice Products is responsible for this combination pet stroller/trailer. What is the difference between it and the competition?
The trailer’s frame is strong and durable but light enough to not be too heavy as you ride.
The steel frame is covered with a durable polyester fabric that’s dyed a bright red to increase visibility.
Fido is protected from bugs by the fabric window. Unfortunately, the side windows don’t provide any protection for your dog if it rains. So make sure you keep an eye on the weather forecast.
It is nice to have a hand-lock brake system in the trailers that are more expensive.
You can ensure safety while giving your dog the best ride possible with a safety flag or reflectors.
A hitch is included to allow you to attach the dog biketrailer and stroller to your bicycle.
This dog bike trailer from Best Choice Products is water-resistant and durable. It’s ideal for keeping your dog safe, sound and stimulated while on the road.
- 2-IN-1 STROLLER: Bring your furry friend with you on evening strolls with comfortable push handles, or hitch the stroller to your bike as a convenient bike trailer
- MEDIUM TO LARGE PET SIZE: You can easily use this stroller for a large animal, or multiple little ones, up to 66 lbs. A removable cushion keeps your pets comfortable during the ride
- KEEP YOUR PET SAFE: Safety flag and reflectors on the wheels promote stroller visibility in low-light conditions. Interior safety leash keep pets safe. An additional fabric covers the front opening to promote pet comfort in all weather conditions
- BUILT-IN HAND BRAKE SYSTEM: Experience ultimate comfort with 180 adjustable handles and use the built-in hand-lock brake system for rest stops. Multiple windows promote breathability while mesh screens keep debris out
- QUALITY MATERIALS: Durably crafted with a sturdy, lightweight steel frame and water-resistant polyester for a pleasant riding experience, rain or shine. Durable wheels ensure easy maneuvers and a smooth ride; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 65.35"(L) x 31.5"(W) x 37-43"(H); Weight Capacity: 66 lbs.
- Frame is sturdy and lightweight
- Highly weatherproof
- Safety flags and reflectors
- Side windows are not protected from rain
5. Thule Chariot 2 Lite Multisport Trailer
Ideal for: Bicycle touring, road cycling, bike touring, paved roads, city riding, multisport
Maximum weight:98 lb
Conversion kit: Stroller (included), jogger, skiing, hiking sold separately
Thule is a leader in car accessory design and quality. Thule also makes quality bike trailers.
The Thule Chariot 2 Lite Multisport, which is a similar product to the D’Lite’s, can be used for four activities, including biking, jogging, and strolling. The ski kit and the jogger are available separately.
- It is lightweight at just 27 lbs. 8 oz.
- Windows that are UV protected
- Protection from the elements with full sunshade or rain cover
- A lighter carrier is easier to use
- Compact folding design
- The Click’n’Store system allows you to convert between multiple activities in one go
- Ski boots and joggers are expensive
- Only two adjustments are possible for the stroller arm
6. DoggyRide Mini Dog Bike Trailer
- Maximum weight: 20 pounds
- Materials: Nylon and aluminum
- Dimensions: 23 x 15x 22 inches
DoggyRide makes a sturdy and reliable dog bike trailer that can be used to transport your pet around the city.
It was easy to set up the trailer. It’s the same for disassembly. All you have to do is remove a single pin. To simplify storage, fold the dog bike trailer.
Use the hooks and leash to keep Fido safe once he climbs in. If you want to take Fido on a bike ride with you dog, make sure he is well-trained. You could injure your dog if you try to escape the traffic and open roads.
If your dog is a well-behaved one, however, you can expect him to enjoy a comfortable ride and be happy to share the road with you.
This trailer’s front panel is covered with a weather-resistant screen, which should keep out light rain.
This trailer isn’t the biggest, so it’s best for small dogs. We review many more substantial trailers for larger dogs.
This is a great dog bike trailer for small dogs, with a pocket and pouch to keep your supplies close by.
- Easily folds down with the release of one pin
- Includes interior leash and leash hooks to keep riders safe
- Front panel includes a protective rain screen
- Includes wheel holder for stroller wheel
- Easy access rear entry door includes a pouch and water bottle pocket
- Access via the rear door
- Hooks and leash included
- Stroller wheel holder
- Not suitable for bigger dogs
7. Burley Tail Wagon Bike Trailer
- Maximum weight: 75 pounds
- Materials: Aluminium and Polyester
- Dimensions: 36.7×31.1×31.9 inches
Burley Tail Wagon offers 5 great options if you want to go on bike rides with Rover behind for some fresh air.
Burley Tail Wagon can be used by dogs up to 75 lbs. This trailer offers a bit more flexibility than some of the smaller ones we review. You should ensure that your dog weighs between 50 and 75 pounds.
The removable floor makes it easy to clean this dog bike trailer. This can be taken out and wiped down with warm water and mild detergent. Dry it and then replace. This is all there is to it with the Tail Wagon.
For added stability, you can batten the trailer’s side. The tailgate can slide down when it’s time to load or unload. There are handy storage pockets so that you can keep all your Fido’s toys and accessories close by.
Airflow is first-class, and it provides your dog with the ventilation he requires when you’re out on the road.
The wheels can be quickly released and the frame can be folded down to store the Tail Wagon in tight spaces.
Although it’s not the cheapest dog bike trailer, Burley Tail Wagon is a great value. So what’s your take on Burley?
- Tail Wagon by Burley features a removable floor for washing, optional securing tie downs
- Side battens for stability; flip-down tailgate for loading and unloading.Spacious interior with 75 lb. carrying capacity
- All-weather cover with waterproof zippers; heavy-duty mesh cover on four sides for maximum airflow
- 16-inch quick-release alloy wheels; fast-action folding system; stroller kit compatible
- Floor that can be removed
- Tailgate pockets
- Superior ventilation
- It is difficult to control quality
8. Solvit Houndabout Aluminum Frame Dog Bike Trailer
Ideal for:Cycling, cycling on roads, biking along paved roads, and city riding
Maximum weight:50 lb – 110 lbs
Conversion kit: None
A pet brand company, Pet Safe, designed the Solvit Houndabout trailer for pets. The dog bike trailer comes with a safety leash that can be adjusted to make sure your dog stays inside.
This trailer has plenty of storage space and breathable mesh. You can also choose from steel or aluminum for the dog bike trailer frame.
- DURABLE STEEL: A strong, steel constructed frame lets you go for bike rides with your best friend in tow
- A RIDE WITH A VIEW: Let your pet enjoy the view while looking out the back, front and side ventilated windows while give them shade from the sun
- SAFE AND SECURE: A safety tether inside the trailer attaches to your furry friend’s harness to keep them safe when hitting the trails; weather-resistant trailer has reflectors for added visibility
- EASY TO CONNECT: The trailer hitch quickly connects to your bicycle; at the end of your adventure with your best friend, easily disconnect the hitch and collapse the trailer for storage
- STORAGE POUCHES: 3 pockets on the outside of the trailer allow you to bring your pup’s leash, treats, water and poop bags along on your adventure
- Comfortable cushion
- Maximum airflow for your dog
- Sunroof. Your dog can enjoy the sun while you work
- Aluminum wheels
- Foldable storage
- Front door with waterproof layer
- It can be hard to fit certain trailer hitches to all bikes
- No flag
- Small interior length for larger dogs
- This slant is for bikes with 26-inch wheels. This slant is used on bikes with 700cc rear and front wheels
- It can be hard to assemble
- For bikes equipped with Shimano gear sets, this is not compatible
9. Aosom Elite Jr Bicycle Trailer
- Maximum weight: 44 pounds
- Materials: Steel and Oxford cloth
- Dimensions: 42.1×23.2×38.2 inches
Next, we have the Elite Jr. trailer from Aosom. What makes this model stand apart?
You can choose from red or pale blue and still be visible in dim lighting conditions.
This trailer can be used behind your bike or as a stroller that you push while you run or walk.
It’s easy to assemble and take apart the Elite Jr., as with all of the best dog bike trailers. You can even store the Elite Jr. with ease thanks to its quick-release wheels that fold flat.
These wheels are available in two sizes: a pair at the rear of 12 inches and one at the front that can swivel through 360 degrees.
The steel frame is strong, sturdy, and long-lasting. The top is covered with a rugged Oxford cloth. This makes it weatherproof and can withstand any punishment.
Rover enjoys a comfortable and airy ride thanks to ventilation.
Some disgruntled owners have complained that aggressive chewers or energetic dogs have damaged this dog bike trailer. If you have a more disciplined, finicky dog, think carefully.
- 2-IN-1 DESIGN: This can be used as a jogging stroller that you push as you run, or it can be attached to your bike as a pet bike trailer for a cycling adventure.
- WEATHER PROTECT: Oxford fabric build on steel construction, also equipped with weather shield, water and sunray resistant, provides shade to protect your pets from sun and rain.
- EASY ENTRY& VENTILATION: Your pet can easily enter through the zippered front/back door, and he can stick his head out and enjoy the breeze through the roomy sunroof. A D-ring included for connecting security leash(not included).
- SMOOTH ROLLING: Two 12" rear wheels and a 360 degree swivel univerisal wheel provide a smooth ride and are off-road capable. An attached orange flag provides high visibility in traffic and low-light conditions.
- EASY TRANSPORT AND STORAGE: The quick-release EVA front wheels, which can fold flat for easy storage and transportation, can also stand upright and store away easily so they won't take up much space.
- Easy assembly and folding
- Weather protection that works
- You can swivel your wheel 360 degrees
- This is not the best for dogs with more energy
10. Sepnine 2-In-1 dog bike trailer
- Maximum weight: 66 pounds
- Materials: Nylon and steel
- Dimensions: 26.7×17.1×20 inches
Sepnine makes a dog bike trailer that is pocket-friendly, so you can share the excitement of the open road and your pet with other dogs. But is it worth the effort?
You can finish it in many colors but our favorite is the bright and pale yellow. This will ensure that the trailer is visible even in darkness. You can choose from red, orange, and blue if this color scheme is not for you.
Steel frames are lightweight but strong. It feels sturdy and solid.
This trailer can be used with any type of bicycle thanks to its universal hitch.
The assembly and disassembly take only minutes. The pet bike trailer/stroller folds down for easy storage and transport. It folds flat once the unit has been taken down.
There is no perfect dog bike trailer, and this one has a major drawback: It’s not the most comfortable ride for your dog. Consider your intended use. This is fine if you are only going to be in the area for a short time and will only be using it for a short time. We recommend that you look at one of our more sophisticated dog bike trailers if you plan on taking Fido for longer rides.
- 🐶 EASY TO CONNECT: The trailer hook can be quickly connected to your bike, and when the adventure with your best friend ends, the hook can be easily disconnected and folded for storage
- 🐶 SAFETY GUARANTEE: The safety belt in the trailer is fastened to the furry child to avoid jumping out and ensure safety on the road. Weatherproof carts have reflectors and small red flags to increase visibility
- 🐶 DOUBLLE ENTRANCES: Sepnine bicycle trailers are designed with entrances on the front and back, which can easily load your pets; the front and rear access doors with mesh windows can achieve the best ventilation effect
- 🐶 INTIMATE DESIGN: Transparent windows increase visibility, and the movable cushion keeps your dog comfortable and happy during the journey
- 🐶 REFERENCE SIZE: The medium trailer can accommodate a dog weighing up to 66 pounds. The internal driving size is: 26.8"*17.1"*20.1" (L*W*H)
- Universal bike hitch included
- Converts from trailer-to-jogger
- Folds flat
- Fido will be happy in a comfortable environment
11. Ibiyaya Store Pet Bike Trailer
- Maximum weight: 50 pounds
- Materials: Polyester and alloy steel
- Dimensions: 28x28x25 inches
Next, we have another multipurpose model from Ibiyaya Pet Store. This can be used as a stroller or a pet bike trailer. Your dog will love it.
We wouldn’t recommend that you keep large dogs inside, despite the fact that they can carry 50 pounds. This is an efficient and neat way to transport smaller breeds.
The polyester is applied to the alloy steel frame and covered in a durable, high-impact polyester. It can be finished in any of three commanding colors.
If you ride at full speed, the mesh screen will keep your dog safe from insects and bugs. If your dog is good-mannered and enjoys being outside, you can unfurl it.
The zippered door makes it easy to get in and out. Rover can also enjoy the sunroof as its crowning glory.
This trailer/stroller combination is perfect for small dogs.
- Bring Your Pet Anywhere: Enjoy any trip with your pet with this 2-in-1 Happy Pet Trailer pet stroller and pet bike trailer for large dogs and medium dogs from IBIYAYA! Able to support up to 66 pounds, your pet can come on every walk and bike ride.
- Suitable on All Terrains: Our dog strollers have shock-absorbing, rubber wheels with air-filled tires and built-in suspension. This pet stroller has a lockable swivel front tire that will never deflate and a reliable quick-release rear brake system.
- Keep Your Pet Comfy: Our spacious dog carriage and dog bike trailer has back, front, and side zippered mesh windows so they can enjoy the view and a nice breeze. We’ve included a non-toxic clear rain cover, a sunroof, and there are 4 entrance options!
- Designed for Safety: This stroller for dogs comes with 2 safety tethers, has a durable rear wheel axle, and reflector plates for night walks. These dog strollers have a heavy-duty steel frame, and a high base to keep pets away from dust and heat.
- Convenient and Portable: This three-wheel dog stroller for medium dogs features a simple quick-release wheel system - just snap and click and easily disassemble the stroller! Flatten it down for compact storage in closets or car trunks.
- Combination of stroller and dog bicycle trailer
- Mesh screen with zipper
- Great ventilation and easy access
- Quality of construction could be improved
12. Burley D’Lite Pet Bike Trailer
Ideal for: Off-road, gravel grinding, sand, dirt roads
Maximum weight: 100 lbs
Conversion kit: Stroller (included), ski, sand, and gravel
The Burley D’Lite was used in South America by us and we were blown away by its durability and suspension.
The dog bike trailer was tested on the most bumpy gravel roads, cobblestone, and crappy asphalt. It has never failed to impress.
It’s expensive at $850 but it’s worth it if you can afford it and are willing to use your dog bicycle trailer for rough terrain.
Cyclists with smaller dogs should consider the D’Lite Single.
It was designed to house two children, but with minor modifications it can be used for dogs.
The spring-based adjustable suspension is extremely smooth on rough roads. It’s well worth the extra weight if you take the back roads.
- 1-Wheel Stroller Kit included for quick transition from biking to strolling out of the box
- Adjustable suspension for dialed comfort for all conditions and terrains
- Independent-reclining seat(s) with 3 positions of adjustment
- Premium Seat Pads include a headrest for added comfort
- Bowed-out sides for extra shoulder and elbow room
- For a smoother ride, consider suspension
- There is tons of space (47.5 Liters)
- Built with sunshade, tinted side- and rear windows
- It is easy to break down
- Lightweight (28.4 lbs)
- Available in high visibility yellow and green
- Adjustable handlebar with built-in features that allow you to push the dog bike trailer whenever needed
- 20 inch wheels with push button quick release
- Rear window is not opened
- Zippers stick a bit on the front windows
- Get OEM tires that are better
- Prices high
13. Retrospec Rover Waggin’ Pet Bike Trailer
How to choose a dog bike trailer
We have listed the top features we consider to be essential for a dog bicycle trailer. You want something that is durable and high-quality so it can handle whatever adventures you plan.
Bike riding with a dog bike trailer can significantly change the way you bike. It takes some time to get used the feeling.
Here are some things to remember:
- It is important to consider all angles
- It takes some effort to accelerate
- Cruising downhill feels like towing a parachutist
- Pedaling uphill is like towing a dog bicycle trailer.
Handling will be affected by the weight of your dog, trailer and bike.
Some trailers have mesh panels to allow for ventilation, while others are made with a stronger fabric. Mesh is more susceptible to tears if your dog scratches it, but it allows for fresh air to circulate through the dog bicycle trailer.
You should also consider the frame’s material. Aluminum frames are lighter than steel frames, but they last longer.
Steel is heavier than aluminum but can still be welded together if it does break. Steel can also handle heavier dogs, so it is important to have steel.
We advise against using plastic frames because they are both inexpensive and easy to break.
You get what you pay, just like with all gear. A dog bike trailer of high quality can last for many thousands of miles while a cheaper one might break quickly.
You should be aware of these things:
- Materials – Aluminum and steel vs. plastic
- Wheels – Are the spokes made of aluminum or plastic? If they break, plastic wheels can be replaced with spokes.
- Skewers– Is it easy to get rid of them?
- Tires– How likely is it that the factory tires will get flat? (We replace all of our tires with Marathon Schwalbe(20″ X 1.75″) We had only 3 flats on the entire trip.
To get an idea about the durability of different options, take a look online at best dog bike trailers reviews.
We found the suspension to be a useful feature in some dog bicycle trailers. This was especially helpful when we were cycling on gravel roads in South America.
You can skip suspension if you ride on roads and bike paths. Best dog bike trailers are capable of handling bumpy terrain without suspension.
Suspension reduces the impact of riding in rough terrain. Although your dog will be more comfortable riding on rough roads, the dog bike trailer is going to be heavier.
A warranty is a great option. It’s a good idea to get additional protection if you are unsure about how your dog will handle the dog bike trailer or if it gets rusty in the garage.
We love REI’s generous return policy which allows returns for up to one year after purchase.
Size / Weight
The size of your dog will determine the size dog bicycle trailer that you need. A large trailer for your dog will be necessary if you have a large dog.
To ensure they are comfortable in their rig, measure their length, width and height.
Many of the trailers in this guide are available at REI. Before you commit to buying, we recommend stopping by REI to see if the dog bike trailer is right for you.
You will want to maximize the space inside your dog’s room while still keeping his weight down.
Some pet trailers are available with separate attachments that allow for use in other sports.
Many include a wheel and handle to use as a stroller or jogger, which comes in very handy if your dog has surgery or an injury or if you just want to continue the adventures with your senior dog.
Some dogs come with ski attachments so you can pull your dog around for a change.
Other important features
Safety Flag: A high safety flag isn’t necessary but it is a nice addition for riding on busy roads or in urban areas.
Brake System: Some trailers come with a hand brake, which is useful if you’re stopped on a steep hill and need to relieve some of the load.
Rain covers: If you are planning to ride your dog on a bike tour, it will probably rain. You should make sure your trailer has rain protection.
Pockets: Interior pockets dog gear You can keep your dog safe from drowning in seawater of treats and water bowls in the trailer.
Entrance: You should consider whether the dog bike trailer was made for children or for dogs. There will be a different entrance.
Pets have more room to enter than kids trailers, which face the rear of the bike. The entry point is in the back.
Visibility: Bright colors make it easier for drivers to see that they are carrying special cargo. If night falls during a ride, make sure you have a spot where you can attach a red blinky light.
You should not have arrived at this site without any knowledge about how to find the best dog bike trailer.
It is important to remember that your dog must behave in the dog bike trailer. You should train your dog if you are concerned that he will not be able to handle this situation. Untrained pups can be dangerous if they are allowed to wander into potentially deadly situations.
You can stick with any of our pet bike trailers and buy with your eyes wide open and an understanding of both the benefits and drawbacks of each one. You can find the right pet bike trailer for you by reading the buying guide.
Before you rush off to do anything, take a moment to bookmark BarkVA. We will be back soon! You will find new content every day about all aspects of dog ownership.
Bike trailers for dogs, or dog carts as they are also known as, are becoming increasingly popular. In this post we examine why people use a dog bike trailer, and how to train your dog to look forward to its ride out.
When compared to motorized transport, cycling is an ideal way to travel. Not only do you get fit, you arealso producing a zero carbon footprint. So what better way to take your pet out than a dog bike trailer?
Dogs enjoy exercise, but if your pet is ageing, injured or you live a long distance from the nearest park or open area, a dog bike trailer is the perfect solution to your problems.
You can transport them to the local park or beach and let them have a good walk or run around, whilst at the same time keeping your self fit.
Another reason bike trailers for dogs are becoming so popular is the fact that many pet owners are unwilling to use their car for transporting a muddy, grass covered and often wet dog. Dog bike trailers are manufactured from easy to clean materials that can be quickly washed down. Most trailers also include a washable floor pad that can be removed and hosed off or sponged down, making it possible for your furry friend to be transported with no fuss and very little mess.
Yes, there are alternatives to bike trailers for dogs such as bike baskets and bicycle dog leash kits, however there are some limitations to these types of devices. Dog bike baskets are designed for small, lightweight pets, so if you have a medium to large dog there is no way it will fit into the basket.
The other alternative is a bicycle dog leash kit that allows your pet to run at the side of the bike, however, once again there are drawbacks to this type of device, the main one being; if you have a large, nervous or aggressive dog, connecting a leash to your bicycle could possibly be quite dangerous. Imagine what would happen if your pet saw another dog, a cat or got spooked by traffic.
Bike Trailers For Dogs – How to Train Your Dog
Some dogs are confident and outgoing whilst others are shy and nervous. My first pet trailer was bought for my ageing English springer spaniel, Ellie May, who was unbelievably inquisitive (nosey). As soon as I set the trailer up Ellie May was in it like a shot and refused to come out until feed time. Quite unlike my neighbors Labrador, who at first, refused to go anywhere near the trailer and had to be gradually coaxed into it.
The key to any sort of dog training is patience. Taking things gradually and breaking the training down into small steps is crucial, when your pet is confident and comfortable, move on to the next step. Break the sessions down into small 10 – 15 minute periods and use treats to reward the dog for good behavior.
1. Remove the wheels from the trailer and set it up indoors. Most trailers have quick release wheels that take just a few seconds to take off. If your pet has a blanket it sleeps on, place it inside the trailer. Put a treat and your pet’s favorite toy in the trailer. Don’t force the pet into the trailer, let it go in on its own accord. When the pet enters the trailer, reward it with a treat and lots of fuss. At feed times place the food bowl inside the trailer. Don’t rush it, let your dog get used to going in and out of the trailer and always reward it with a treat and praise. Furwheels.com
2. Once the dog has got used to going in and out of the trailer indoors, it’s time to take the training outside. Re-fit the wheels and connect the trailer to your bike. If you don’t have a kick stand fitted to the bike, ask someone to hold the bike steady when you are loading and unloading your pet. Once again use treats and toys to entice the pet into the trailer. Your aim is to get the pet used to getting in and out of the trailer.
3. Once the dog is accustomed to getting in and out of the built up trailer it’s time to take your first ride. Make sure you secure the dogs leash to the internal fastener to stop it from jumping out. Most modern trailers have a roll back front/top that will allow the dog to sit upright, this will allow your inquisitive friend to see exactly what’s going on, reducing the stress of being confined inside a moving tent.
4. Keep your first trip short, a ride around the block is an ideal starting point. Also make sure to take it easy on your first few journeys, keep it smooth and slow, avoiding rough terrain, pot holes, curbs, sudden braking and tight cornering. After every trip out, reward your pet with a treat and lots of fuss.
5. When you’ve been for a few trips around the block you can then start to lengthen the journeys. Destinations such as the park, a woodland area or to the beach will soon have your dog associating a trip in the trailer with a fun and exciting place to visit. Once your dog is comfortable with going out for a ride in the trailer you will find that it opens up a whole new world of quality time that can be spent with your furry companion.
We regularly go on camping trips, the trailer gets connected to the bike in the daytime and at night it doubles as a personal tent for our dog. If you are tired of leaving your furry friend at home when you are out on your bike or away camping, connecting a dog trailer to your cycle is a great way of hitting the road with your pet.
Bike trailers for dogs can be assembled and disassembled easily, folded down for transportation within a vehicle and can be used for carrying other items such as shopping.
We hope you have enjoyed our bike trailers for dogs article. Thank you for reading.